2023-04-26 Community Meeting
Brooks TownsendwasmCloud Maintainer
- (DEMO + DISCUSSION) Wadm, the declarative application format OAM, and where the
0.4.0 release stands
- (DISCUSSION) wasmCloud builtin numbergen capability, cryptography, generating random bytes
- KubeCon EU wrap-up, video recording links
- Wadm 0.4 release: reworked and redesigned with Rust and NATS jetstream, now tidy and productionized.
- Declaratively manage your wasmCloud apps across the lattice.
- Wadm works alongside wasmCloud across a NATS connection - the same as your wasmCloud.
- Host surveys the lattice for the entire state of hosts, actors and providers.
- This means you can define your wasmCloud apps in terms of the open application model (OAM).
- You can define your version (Wadm supports many) and define a list of components - actors or capability providers.
- As part of components you can design a specific trait - for example the scale or amount of hosts you want to spread.
- Also linkdefs come as standard with Wadm to stitch together wasmCloud actors to give configuration.
- Pushing towards 0.4 release but, yes, you can use it today with the wash support PR.
- Essentially, this is how folks work with K8s deployments - declaratively say how I want things to work.
- wasmCloud builtin numbergen capability, cryptography, generating random bytes.
- Contributions from Stephen generating random bytes into the numbergen builtin.
- wasmCloud host responsible for generating a random number but are they cryptographically suitable?
- How we version the interface is still in discussion. The key question is the relationship between builtin numbergen interface application to cryptographically safe random bytes generation.
- Kevin: interface is designed for 'best effort' functionality, host implementation not necessarily cryptographically random.
- Same with random numbers - interface gives no guarantee that numbers are cryptographically random.
- Is it the responsibility of the builtins to give you a cryptographically random number or should we have a separate provider/UI to expose data that is suitable for use in cryptography?
- wasi-fill approach could be a route to explore. Write your code like you would normally do - when the component runs in wasmCloud we handle the distribution for you.
- Decided to use careful language indicating random numbers are best effort, and that we don't make guarantees in the interface. Bailey agreed to create an issue to explore adding wasi-crypto support.
- KubeCon Retro
- Recognition - 80% of the folks we talked to have heard of Wasm - progress! "Who hasn't?!" said one visitor to the booth.
- The Wasm side of KubeCon was sold out early and packed to the rafters - shows how fast the server-side ecosystem is growing.
- The Wasm Day recordings are up - check them out here.
- Kevin's KubeCon talk still to appear - week or so.